Wednesday, November 11, 2009

about me

Before Salaam Baalak Trust

I was born in Bihar. My father is handicapped. He cannot walk. When he came to Delhi for a treatment I came with him. We stayed eight months in Safdarjung in a hospital. Between the treatments my father talked to a doctor about my studies. After that I went with him. He put me in his relative’s house where I was living and working. By that time I was around seven years old. After a few months I was doing all the work of his house. I was cleaning the floor, washing the kitchen material, cloths and the toilet. If I did not fulfill their expectations, his son beat me. At that time I wanted to leave that place, but I did not know anything about Delhi, not even the name of street or the area I was living in. Only the number of the house I knew.


After two years my father came to visit me. He asked me how my studies and everything else were going. I told my father that my life there was not good and that I didn’t want to live there. He took me out of that place and talked to a social-worker when he stayed in the hospital for his treatments. He had heard about Praveen Nair’s approach to help street- and working-children. He told my father about Salaam Baalak Trust. By that time SBT was a young NGO and they just opened Apna Ghar shelter home for educational purposes after Aasra and the Drop-In Shelter. I stayed in Aasra for about six month before I came to Apna Ghar.

Today

I am living in Salaam Baalak Trust for the last ten years. When I came to SBT I did not know about the value of studying. From the beginning I got extra help from SBT’s teachers because I didn’t know how to read and write. I started to go to fourth standard in formal school after three months by the age of nine. Last year I completed 12th standard. Now I am doing a B.A. program from the Delhi University in art stream.


I am also doing a multimedia-course from NIIT YUVA STAR since ten months. I have learnt already how to use photo- and graphic-editing software like Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and CorelDraw. Right now I am practicing on common and nowadays worldwide used internet-related software. I just started my first blogs (see blogspot, wordpress) on which I upload my work-examples. Doing this I learn how to use different ways to present my samples online. i am going to learn Adobe Flash, a software for adding animation and interactivity to web pages. Afterward I want to learn computer language related web design because I want to become a web designer.


1 comment:

  1. bhai sab,
    it is great to see your progress!!!
    keep going on!
    steffi

    ReplyDelete

photo gallery

photo gallery
in the book